Tuesday 26 March 2013

beetle brooch update

beetle beads and a rivoli treat
So here, I showed you my latest beetle, and I was getting excited to teach it for the first time... but before I did, there was just enough time to try it out a couple more times with different beads. first, in what seems to be a seasonal ritual at this time of year, I went for really bright and cheerful colours.
Those pink pearls are the new Swarovski Neon... exactly the same shade as a little over jacket we were given at small school to help us show up on gloomy winter walks to school. In those days it was called fluorescent, and was very exciting. In my teens it re-appeared as 'Day glow' inks and dyes splashed across graffiti fashion prints. Now it's back again as Neon. I'm not a fan, usually, but am converted by using them in this minimalist way!
Colourful beetle
The beady stash was my shopping to go with the Neon pearls (plus, ahem, some delicious Rivoi's... for another project). I added a splash of turquoise, plus pearl 'knees' to help illustrate a beady moment in class.
The beetle I'm wearing the most, sits on my 'neck hug' scarf and is more like the colouring we find on beetles hiding in the English shrubbery. Sparkly pewter with rusty dark coral pearls.

So how did the class go?
Garden beetle on a neck hug
Well, the group I designed the beetle for has a wide range of beady experience, from artists already beading up gorgeousness, to beginners just getting to grips with thread tension, but best of all for me, a collective good mood and willingness to play! they all did a brilliant job of creating colourful beetles.
For myself, I'm de-constructing and re-arranging the order in which the components are put together, which I think will help future students who are at the start of the beady learning curve, as it will sort out some thread tension issues.
For me, teaching practice and instructions for class, are constantly under review. I'm listening out for sticking points, watching how many different ways the instructions get used in class, refining, adding, re-writing, making notes to answer questions that come up... it's an exciting organic process, one which has to adapt quickly to every new room full of students.
Can't wait for the next one!